Saturday, September 12, 2009

running is relative..part II

As I celebrate another P.R., I continue to strive for more/better. Today was the Ollie 5 miler in South Boston. I placed 103rd. The field was quite competitive with 23:53 winning the event, but I still can't settle as I know that this is just the begining. I expect to be running much faster next year barring the unexpected.

Nonetheless, I am happy with my 28:48 finish, this is an average of 5:46min/mile. Which brings me to the Mc Millan calculator and my theory that you let your training determine your goal paces. I know the website has a disclaimer. It does have its benefits, but I am becoming convinced of the fact that if you want to get good at racing you have to race and running fast you have to race.

The Mc Millan calculator is as much of an enabler as anything else. Had I used it I would have gone out much slower and placed and run much slower. The result would have been less than what I was capable of.

Lesson learned.

Lets run......

No comments:

Post a Comment