Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I guess it's all relative...

I started running with the GBTC group in June. I was in what I considered to be decent shape, 178 lbs, running 50-60 miles a week with the occasional 18-20 mile run every other saturday.

The first track workout with them was mile repeats. The first one I ran in 6 min and the other 2 were 615 and 630. Now it is 2 full months of training later and I am in what I would call better that decent shape but still at a place where great improvement is possible.

I am still running 50-60-70 mile weeks but they seem to be faster and easier at times. The track workouts are certainly much easier. Nonetheless my improvements are only based on where I was in June. Everyone else in the group is maintaining or getting better/faster as well. So, in reality I still have an uphill battle.

The only reason I am getting better is because I am training with people who are better/ faster than I am so I can't settle for my current fitness level because I will simply get left behind. This is my motivation. Surround your self with people who are good or better that you and you will eventually reach that level. I literally have something to chase after...

When I look at some of my recent race times they are PR's, but that doesn't even put me close to age group contention for races in the area. That is the gap that needs to be closed. In due time....

No comments:

Post a Comment