Saturday, December 5, 2009

Track meets make me very nervous!

We had the indoor Northeastern University invitational (name of meet unsure)meet today at the Reggie Lewis athletic complex. It really did remind me of the old days of track running. The butterflies! The track complex was crowded and space was sparse, very unlike an outdoor meet. It didn't help matters that it was cold and raining outside. So, I couldn't just go sit outside in a corner and keep to myself which is my preferred method of preparation before a track race.

Track meets are interesting because, during the race competitors have nowhere to hide. You are either in or you are out, and when a competitor runs out of gas it is completely exposed and they must live with their decision to race the way they did.

I was in the slowest of 3, 3k heats. The first mile was 524, then I started running like I was scared! Well not exactly scared, but I certainly picked up and began passing those who went out a little too fast. I ran the first 2 laps dead last. but finished somewhere middle to front of the field.

Final time 9.59.

McMillan says that equates to a 2:49.43 marathon. McMillan is a smart man!

2 comments:

  1. awesome!
    i give you a lot of shit, for fun, but know that i think you're freakin' incredible.

    congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit talkin' only makes people better in my opinion. That is why you are still just a slow trail runner! He he .

    ReplyDelete