Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Boston race prep

This is the proposed race preparation for Boston. As I am not superhuman I don't think I'll be participating all of these.
===================

" Jan 29-30,Terrier at BU, race what ever you can...

Feb 7th, the Great Stew Chase 15km in Lynn, MA

Feb 13 Valentine Meet, same as Terrier

Feb 21, race 5 km at USATF meet at Harvard....end of indoor track for marathoners

Feb 28th Jones 10 mile in Amherst. Very important USATF Grand Prix race.

March 7th Stu's 30 km in Clinton, MA hilly, but being able to race a three-quarter's marathon is essential to being able to race a marathon.

March 21 New Bedford Half marathon, Very important USATF Grand Prix race.

There may be a 10km at Tufts that I will recommend, I think March 27th. Race a 10 km on the race on Sat and come back to race 20 miles on the road on Sunday, then you will be ready for a marathon. (just add the times together)
March 28th, ES 20 from Maine to Massachusetts. Again an essential prerequisite for racing a marathon.

April 10th 15 km Tune up in Upton.



I also want you all to get psyched and know the history of the Boston Marathon by reading my book.

Boston Marathon: The first Century of the World's Premiere Running Event, Human Kinetics 1996, or the slightly shorter first edition
The book is in most libraries or available used from Able books http://www.abebooks.com Type in my name. Don't buy the Blood Sweat and Cheers book. That's mostly photos.

The first reading assignment for women is the 1966 chapter and for men the 1970 chapter.

Mileage is the key to the marathon, the next key is racing up to the distance. The closer your daily milage is to the time of your marathon, the less important is the "long run." If you are a 2:20 marathoners running 100 miles a week then you spend about 2 hours a day running which is only 20 minutes shy of the time you will spend racing, but if you run 40 miles a week and run a 4 hour marathon...well, it is really a different event.

Of course this stuff is hard to do. The marathon is a hard event."


So I hope to participate in the majority of these events with the exception of the Terrier meet, the Valentine meet and the USATF meet. I may do one of these, but no as of today.
I am not sure about the 15k on april 10th either, as it may be too close to race day. Nor do I think I'll be doing the back to back 10k 20 miler, I will likely only do the 20 miler.

2 comments:

  1. Shamelessly stealing some of this post. Will give full credit where credit is due.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your coach is a nutjob! hahaha (in a good way)
    buit dang dude, 8 races, wheren there's 11 weeks left... doesn't leave much room for long runs...

    i'm no wizard, but my opinion is, you're risking burnout by doing that many, because you only have that many "a" race "bib-days" a year to draw from.
    cut that list down to 4!

    ReplyDelete