Thursday, July 16, 2009

w12d4

80 degrees and humid. First day of less than desirable running conditions. I had a good run went 13.5 miles, avg 743 pace. Running thru the parks in Boston usually some nice entertainment. Today's highlight was the MAN VS. URBAN TURKEY stand-off. Since I don't run with a camera you'll have to use your imagination on this one.

The playing field was Backbay Fens park. The time about 12:15 and being lunch time their was a fair share of pedestrians walking to and fro around the park. So I make my way around a corner and I hear a guy yelling "no, no, get back". Naturally I look over and see a mid 50's, balding, 5'9"ish, plump, white man yelling at 2 turkeys that were about 3 feet from him. These were no small birds either, at first I thought they were peacocks until I got a closer look and saw the red heads and beady turkey faces etc. The only thing between him and the curious turkeys was a XL Bed bath and beyond bag that seemed to be stuffed with pillows or something. He had his arm extended, swinging the bag at the birds, as he was yelling and walking backwards. I was pretty close to this stand off so I walked over and clapped at the birds and they looked over at me. It appeared they lost focus of their initial victim and I told the guy to and I continued on my run. As I looked back I noticed the guy scurrying off but the turkeys were in hot pursuit of him and his bag of Bed Bath and beyond goodies. My initial curiosity is what in the hell are these Turkeys doing at this park? Thinking back I have noticed some extra large birds in the park before but never thought much of it as I assumed they were peacocks or something. Second what did this guy do to antagonize these birds into this type of encounter? Lastly, are we this weak as humans that we can't take on a couple of thanksgiving turkeys? I'm just saying. Anyway this little event kept me entertained for about 5 more miles as I am still curious if the guy got away.

All in all it was a pretty good run.

1 comment:

  1. Feather pillows in the BB&B bag??
    Or what was in the bag?

    You're right though, switch to offense and attack the damn birds! Bostonians, bunch of wussies!

    ReplyDelete