Tuesday, July 28, 2009

10 mile race plan

Newburyport Yankee 10 mile race. The race day is typically a hot and humid day. By hot I mean 88-90 degrees and by humid i mean 85%. So, even for Texas standards this is a hot setting for a longer race.

This will truly be my first "race" aside from high school track. Up to this point I haven't considered the events in which I have run as races. They have all been elements of training and even the marathons haven't been what I would consider a race. But, I am going to go out and race this event. As a result I thought I should have a well planned strategy or race plan. The ultimate goal is to run under 65 minutes regardless of weather conditions or unknown course challenges. As a result I am going to go out and run the first 5k in 645-655 pace. At the the end of the 5k I hope to get settled in to 630 pace for the next 5k. At the beginning of the 3rd 5 k I'll take an inventory of myself and if all is well I'll drop into 620 pace, and run the last 2 miles in 12 minutes.

So where does this put me? Around 62 minutes.

This race strategy is brought to you in part thanks to the following sources.


................
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--11426-0,00.html
.........
http://www.newburyportnews.com/pusports/local_story_207231502.html?keyword=secondarystory
.........

3 comments:

  1. best of luck! i hope you knock'em dead!!

    (hate the black font on blue background... very hard to read.)

    smack talk!
    you better finish with a 6:32pace or faster if you have any chance at running faster than my 3:03:06 pr in your race. Just saying.

    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the font deal. You can do better than blue over black. You're not in a gang anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess getting old makes reading difficult. Maybe I'll change my formatting for you senior citizens.
    It is actually black over blue and I was never in a gang.

    So there. Any color combo recommendations from the web design guru's out there?

    ReplyDelete