Tuesday, November 17, 2009

19 mile track workout.

Well not exactly, but with a 6 mile warmup and 3 mile cooldown I will be close to 19miles for the day. A quality 19 at that.



As per Tom Derderian.....

"For our penultimate outdoor workout of 2009 at the South Boston Track at 7 pm we will run the warm up then all at exactly the same time we will start on the track with my new invention: Coyote Fartlek.

In this I am the quarry and the Alpha Coyote. We run on the track for an hour without stopping. No one runs slower than me, ever, or I will, as Alpha Coyote, nip you.

The rest of you as the Coyote pack chase either me as you lap me or each other for odd distances. So sometimes you are the quarry and sometimes you are the coyote. Once you catch whomever you are chasing you run with them for a while, then when rested, launch off in pursuit of the next quarry, the slowest and most restful of which will be me.

NO STOPPING.

NO JOGGING.

This simulates a race in that you won't know what effort is coming and cannot anticipate.

If you and your group want to time some parts, go ahead. But remember:

NO STOPPING.

NO JOGGING.

For one hour. Gold standard is to exceed 40 laps. I will be more like 33.

Within this whimsical framework there is something for everyone. This is a good way to learn how to read your limits."

2 comments:

  1. "penultimate outdoor workout of 2009"
    seriously?!
    damn, the weather JUST got good here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many laps did you run in an hour?

    ReplyDelete