Saturday, May 23, 2009

A runner's endurance.

Runners must have endurance, but we endure more than long distances on the road. During my short couple of years of running and marathon training the physical endurance required to run long distances is nothing compared to enduring waking up on sat morning at hours others only scoff at. Honks and remarks from less than friendly drivers who believe I don't belong on their street and can't understand why I don't just run on that ridiculosly cambered sidewalk. The ever so common question of aren't you worried about your knees. Chaffing in unmentionable places on my body. Portable toilets in public parks (my least favorite by far but almost unavoidable). Sunburns because no sunscreen can make it thru a 2 hr run. I am sure the list could go on for pages.
It's enough to make any sane person reconsider and look for another sport but I have never xomaisered myself 100% sane anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment